Gardner Edgerton High School Junior Taven Ewbank was honored as a United States Marine Corps Semper Fidelis All-American student at an assembly on Tuesday, May 8, 2018. Taven is one of 96 students nationwide to receive this honor.
Semper Fidelis All-American Program recognizes high school students who face life’s battles with the conviction and determination to succeed. These students embody the same fighting spirit that Marines stand for by taking on the challenges of succeeding academically while bettering their communities and excelling in athletics and extracurricular activities. They have turned obstacles into victories through drive and passion and will be recognized for their achievements at the exclusive Battles Won Academy.
Students who are nominated for must meet the following criteria:
- -Be a Junior in High School
- -Have a 3.5 or higher GPA on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent
- -Be active in community service
- -Play a competitive team sport
- -Hold a student or community leadership position
- -Students are also selected for the program based on moral character and academic performance in addition to athletic abilities. Most critically, nominees must demonstrate a fighting spirit that improves the lives of their fellow citizens.
As a celebration of their success, selected Semper Fidelis All-Americans will receive an all-expenses paid trip to attend the four-day Battles Won Academy, held in Washington D.C. in July 2018. There they will participate in daily workouts, an immersive Marine Corps experience on base in Quantico, a community service event, teambuilding outings, and a tour of the Nation’s Capital. Taven will also have the opportunity to network with an elite circle of speakers from all walks of life and various industries who will share their inspiring stories of fighting and winning battles in their own lives.