Traffic Alert! If you’ll be traveling north on I-35 this weekend, plan extra time. Kansas Department of Transportation – Northeast Kansas will close all lanes of NB I-35 and SB I-35 at I-435 for bridge demolition. The closures will be in effect from 9 p.m. Friday, June 10 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 13. Detours will be in place. For more information, please visit:jocogateway.com
WEEKEND-LONG FULL ROAD CLOSURES: All lanes of northbound I-35 and southbound I-35 at the I-435 interchange FULLY CLOSED for bridge demolition work beginning at 9 p.m. on Friday, June 10 and reopening at 5 a.m. on Monday, June 13, weather permitting. Both northbound (starting at 87th Street) and southbound I-35 (starting at 119th Street)will be reduced to ONE OPEN LANE approaching the I-435 interchange where the only option for traffic will be to take northbound I-35 to eastbound I-435 ramp or southbound I-35 to westbound I-435 ramp. Northbound and southbound I-35 through traffic will be directed by marked signage to detour via I-435 and U.S. 69.
The demolition work that will take place during the weekend closure includes removal of the flyover bridge ramp piers via hydraulic hammers that will ‘peck’ away at the concrete piers.
In addition to the demolition work and to effectively utilize the closures in place, crews will also complete the following project work this weekend:
- Northbound I-35 bridge over Pflumm Road > bridge joint replacement work and application of epoxy polymer overlay final surface
- Southbound I-35 bridge over Pflumm Road > traffic switch with lanes shifting to the outside so that work can begin on the second half of the bridge
- 95th Street > bridge utility conduit removal (underneath)
- Northbound I-35 > final asphalt surface being applied on the new/outside lanes between I-435 and 95th Street
- Northbound and southbound I-35 > traffic switch work for temporary striping and barrier modifications for entering the 30-day lane closure beginning on Monday morning, June 13
- Northbound I-35 > large overhead sign installation
- Concrete pour for southbound I-35 to eastbound I-435 loop ramp in an area they can’t get to when southbound I-35 lanes are open to traffic
> > Here’s what this means for drivers > > A summary of all related closures that will take place this weekend are noted as follows. Marked detours will be provided (See detour map below).
Full Weekend Closures > 9 p.m. Friday, June 10 to 5 a.m. Monday, June 13:
All lanes of northbound I-35 (starting at 87th Street) and southbound I-35 (starting at 119th Street) at the I-435 interchange CLOSED.
Northbound U.S. 69 to westbound I-435 ramp CLOSED.
87th Street to southbound I-35 ramp CLOSED.
Overnight Closures > 10 p.m. Friday, June 10 to NOON 12 p.m. Saturday, June 11:
Westbound I-435 TWO LEFT LANES at I-35 CLOSED. Westbound I-435 will have ONE OPEN THROUGH LANE at I-35.
Eastbound I-435 TWO LEFT LANES at I-35 CLOSED. Eastbound I-435 will have ONE OPEN THROUGH LANE at I-35.
Overnight Closures > 10 p.m. Friday, June 10 to 6 p.m. Saturday, June 11
Eastbound I-435/K-10 to northbound I-35 ramp CLOSED.
Northbound I-35 to 87th Street ramp CLOSED.