JCCC student chefs bring home gold, silver from regional competition
Posted on Apr. 24th, 2012
Story by Melodee Blobaum
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — JCCC student chefs won gold and silver medals at the American Culinary Federation Central Region Conference held April 14 to 16 in Detroit.
The culinary team won a gold medal in competition against eight state teams. All eight teams prepared the same Auguste Escoffier recipes. Several teams of judges assessed the students on interpretation of the recipes, knife and kitchen skills and adherence to the recipes as well as the taste and presentation of the meal.
JCCC culinary team members, and their apprentice sites, are:
· Sophie Buell, Kansas City, Kan., Indian Hills Country Club
· Adam Glass, Overland Park, Dean & DeLuca
· Delci Reimer, Kansas City, Mo., Indian Hills Country Club
· Ian Denney, Kansas City, Mo., Raphael Hotel
· Sophia Elmer, Olathe, Green Acres Pastry Shop
· Sally Wilson, Lake Quivira, Sheraton Hotel Crown Center
The knowledge bowl team won a silver medal in competition against nine teams. The quiz-bowl style competition covered all aspects of culinary knowledge.
JCCC knowledge bowl team members, and their apprentice sites, are:
· Steve Copeland, Kansas City, Mo., Café Sebastian
· Blaise Truesdale, Overland Park, Leawood South Country Club
· Jeff Ward, Lawrence, Marisco’s
· Tim Hu, Olathe, Brookridge Country Club
· James Rundle, Kansas City, Mo., Hallbrook Country Club
Edward Adel, Lee’s Summit, assistant professor, hospitality management, won the Galbani Mozzarella Caprese Challenge, a recipe and cooking competition held during the regional gathering. He will compete at the national competition this summer.