Governor Announces Appointments to Commissions and Boards
Posted on Dec. 18th, 2012
Kansas Office of the Governor
Topeka – Kansas Governor Sam Brownback announced today numerous appointments to boards and commissions.
“These Kansans will bring a dedication and energy to the boards and commissions that I appreciate,” Governor Brownback said. “It is with their help that we will continue to make Kansas great.”
The governor’s office is always looking for qualified, interested Kansans to serve the state on commissions and boards in their areas of expertise. If you are interested in serving on a commission or board, please visit http://governor.ks.gov/serving-kansans/office-of-appointments.
Kansas State Historic Sites Board of Review The Kansas Historic Sites Board of Review is a group of 11 professionals from various fields that meets quarterly to review and recommend nominations to the National Register of Historic Places and the Register of Historic Kansas Places, and award preservation planning and rehabilitation grants.
· Toni Stewart, Topeka, is being appointed to a three year term. Toni graduated with a degree in Elementary Education from Newman University in Kansas. Toni is currently a middle school math teacher at Eisenhower Middle School in Topeka.
· John Hoopes, Lawrence, is being re-appointed to a three year term. He has a Bachelor’s degree in Archeology from Yale University and a Ph.D. in Anthropology from Harvard University. John is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Anthropology at the University of Kansas.
Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing The mission of the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing is to advocate for and facilitate equal access to quality, coordinated, and comprehensive services that enhance the quality of life for Kansans who are deaf and hard of hearing. The Governor make appointments from the following different sectors: six members who are deaf or hard of hearing, speech language pathologists, psychologists, nurses, teachers, rehabilitation counselors or social workers, clinical audiologists, otolaryngologists, and a public member.
· Loren Medley, Topeka, is being appointed to a three year term. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Landscape Architecture from Kansas State University and his Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture from Louisiana State University. Loren is currently an economic development consultant in Topeka.
State of Kansas Library System Board This board promotes cooperation with the Kansas Board of Regents to ensure the inclusion of libraries on the KAN-ED network and continues the availability of statewide library reference resources.
· Dave DePue, Topeka, is being appointed to a four year term. He received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Education from Buffalo State University, and went on to get his Ph.D. in Education from The Ohio State University. Dave is currently the State Director of the Capitol Commission.
Kansas Board of Examiners for Hearing Aids The Kansas Board of Examiners for Hearing Aids is appointed by the Governor and consists of five persons. The members of the Board are professional hearing instrument fitters and dispensers, and must all have been engaged in the actual practice of fitting and dispensing hearing instruments in this state continuously for the last five years.
· Michael Schultes, Topeka, is being appointed to a three year term. He received his Bachelor of Arts and Science from Washburn University, and went on to get his Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Missouri Kansas City. Michael is currently a dentist in a private practice.
Kansas State Board of Cosmetology The mission of the Kansas Board of Cosmetology is to protect the health and safety of the consuming public by licensing qualified individuals and enforcing standards of practice. The members of the Kansas State Board of Cosmetology are appointed by the governor to regulate the practice of the profession of cosmetology in Kansas.
· Charles Householder, Kansas City, is being appointed to a three year term. Charles served in the United States Marine Corps on bases in Leavenworth, KS and Okinawa, Japan. Once out of the Marine Corps, he became a law enforcement officer and most recently worked in the Kansas City Kansas Police Department as a Senior Patrolman. Charles is currently a tattoo artist at Dragonfly Tattoo Studio in Kansas City.
Kansas Dental Board The Kansas Dental Board was created to carry out and enforce the Kansas Dental Practices Act. The Board consists of nine members: six licensed and qualified resident dentists (one from each congressional district and two at-large), two licensed and qualified resident dental hygienists, and one representative from the general public. Members of the Board are appointed by the Governor for four-year terms and serve until their successors are appointed.
· Jeffery Stasch, Garden City, is being appointed to a four year term. He graduated from the University of Nebraska, College of Dentistry. Jeffery has served as a dentist in Garden City, since his graduation from dental school.
Kansas Geographical Information Systems Policy Board The Kansas GIS Policy Board works to ensure a technological environment where GIS is recognized as an integral and indispensable tool for government and businesses to serve the information needs of citizens and customers.
· Bettejane Wooding, Great Bend, is being re-appointed to a four year term. She received her Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts from the University of Kansas, and went on to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and completed coursework towards a Master’s degree in Cartography. Bettejane is currently the Barton County Cartographer.
Fire Service Training Commission The Kansas Fire Service Training Commission was mandated in a 2002 revision of the 1949 statute that established fire service training at KU. An alliance of fire service organizations had pressed for the legislation, which had two principal aims: to increase funding for the state’s Fire and Rescue Training Institute at KU and to establish a body that would provide oversight and guidance for the program and guarantee its continued financial wellbeing.
· James Modig, Berryton, is being appointed to a four year term. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from the University of Kansas. James is currently the Director of Design and Construction Management at the University of Kansas.