Kansas City, Mo. (October 5, 2016) – KCP&L is excited to announce the return of the annual KCP&L Community MVP Scholarship Program. The scholarship program is for teens, ages 13 to 18, who give back to their communities. Ten finalists will be selected, each receiving a $1,000 scholarship with the grand prize winner taking home a $5,000 scholarship. As part of KCP&L’s partnership with the Kansas City Chiefs, all of the finalists will be invited to a one-of-a-kind Kansas City Chiefs game day experience during the 2016 season.
- Eligible participants must be between the ages of 13 to 18 and a dependent of a KCP&L customer.
- In order to enter, an individual can self-nominate or be nominated by someone in their community.
- Nominations should describe how the student has contributed to the community, within the last 12 months, in a meaningful way by performing a volunteer service that helped others.
- All nominations must be submitted by November 10 and ten finalists will be selected by a KCP&L review panel.
- Nominees will be encouraged to share their nomination with family and friends to gather enough votes to be named the KCP&L Community MVP.
- The grand prize winner will be announced on December 2.
“We are committed to the communities we serve beyond just the electricity we provide our customers on a daily basis. This scholarship program allows us to shine a light on students who are truly making a difference by going above and beyond in their communities,” said Katie McDonald, KCP&L Senior Director of Customer Experience and Marketing Communication. “As a part of this scholarship we will be able to honor these students on the field at Arrowhead as a part of special Chiefs game day experience recognizing all of their hard work.”
“One of the core tenets of our mission statement is ‘unite our community’ – we believe our work both on and off the field should naturally bring people together and create a greater sense of community,” Chiefs President Mark Donovan said. “When our partners are focused on recognizing the hard work that local youth are doing to make our city and region a better place, we are thrilled to help. We are proud supporters of KCP&L’s Community MVP Scholarship Program.”
This program is just one way KCP&L is working to make a difference. In 2016, 700 KCP&L employees volunteered over 20,000 hours and contributed over one million dollars benefiting over 500 organizations in our community.
For more information regarding the KCP&L Community MVP Scholarship Program visit www.kcpl.com/MVP.
Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., Great Plains Energy Incorporated (NYSE: GXP) is the holding company of Kansas City Power & Light Company and Aquila, Inc. (doing business as KCP&L Greater Missouri Operations Company), two of the leading regulated providers of electricity in the Midwest. Kansas City Power & Light and Aquila use KCP&L as a brand name. More information about the company is available on the Internet at: http://www.greatplainsenergy.com.